If you are one of the fortunate people who have a garden and now have an over-abundance of zucchini – I’ve come to your rescue to save you from yet another ho-hum recipe which may or may not include zucchini bread, zucchini muffins, blah, blah. This recipe turns things around for a change and will make you stop wanting to give away your excess zucchini.
Here’s the answer: Sausage-filled zucchini boats.
Zucchini that’s cut in half lengthwise then hollowed out then slightly boiled to make tender and filled with sausage that has been prepared and cooked with Italian seasoning, garlic, fire roasted petite diced tomatoes and topped with mozzarella cheese then baked to perfection.
How’s that for a change in the menu for your overabundance of zucchini? Could be served as a light lunch or served with a salad to complete for dinner. Either way, you’re going to love these. By the way, see that beautiful tool chopping up the sausage? You can buy that beauty right HERE and make your life easier, just sayin :-).
- 4 medium sized zucchinis
- 1 lb. Pork Sausage (bulk)
- 1-15 oz. can Petite Diced Fire-roasted tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. Italian Seasoning (optional)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ small onion, finely diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Boil water in a large pot that will accommodate your zucchinis. Place your hollowed-out zucchini halves into the boiling water and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes (you do not want to over tenderize your zucchinis you just want to make them a little more pliable).
- Remove the zucchinis and place them cut side up on a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet brown your pork sausage and break it up into small pieces.
- Continue to cook sausage until browned and no pink remains then drain and set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a separate sauté pan and add the onion and garlic and sauté until onion is tender, then combine onion mixture with sausage. Add the diced tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Proceed to fill each zucchini half with about ⅓ to ¼ cup of cooked sausage making sure that you pack the sausage firmly into the zucchini half.
- Top each zucchini half with shredded mozzarella.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake until cheese is melted and zucchini is tender.