Okay, I’m giving in. This is my first post this season featuring “pumpkin”. Sorry. Once you make these Pecan Pumpkin Butter Squares, you’ll understand, I’ve been busy…testing and re-testing them and then testing them again just to make sure they were good, hahaha. They are and can be classified as “the bomb” (don’t ask, it’s my daughter’s expression) 🙂 And better than good, they’re also quick to whip up.
So my nearest supermarket was having a sale, a great sale on pumpkin butter so I snatched it up figuring I could do “something” with it. When I got it home I was sort of at a loss as to what to do with it other than smear it on bread or whatever so I scoured my cabinets and saw I had cake mix and pecans. I knew I didn’t want to do a cake but I figured maybe some bars with this filling and pecans (my favorite) and top it off with a streusel…YES! and voila…Pecan Pumpkin Butter Squares was born!
So if your tired of all the pumpkin recipes out there but because of the holidays approaching you STILL have to do something with pumpkin, try this, it’s fast and serves plenty and it’s absolutely delicious.
These moist delicious Pecan Pumpkin Butter Squares were made with Dickinson's Pumpkin Butter, but really any good pumpkin butter should be fine to use.
30 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix (I used Dunkin Hines)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled cut into small pieces
- 1 jar pumpkin butter
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tbsps. milk
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray non-stick spray on a 9x13 baking pan. Reserve 1 cup of cake mix in a separate small bowl.
- In a larger bowl, stir together the remaining cake mix and ½ cup melted butter and 1 egg. Pour into the prepared baking pan and pat down to make the crust.
- In another bowl, stir together the jar of pumpkin butter with the other 2 eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Once mixed, spread over the cake crust in the baking pan. Sprinkle the ½ cup of chopped pecans over the pumpkin butter batter evenly throughout.
- Add the flour, sugar and cinnamon to the small bowl with the 1 cup reserved cake mix and stir this together. Add the 4 tbsp. of cold butter. Use a pastry blender and cut in the butter into the cake mix until pea-sized crumbs form and the mixture clumps together, this will create your streusel. Sprinkle this mixture over the pecan covered pumpkin butter. Distribute throughout making sure pumpkin butter spread is completely covered with this streusel.
- Bake in oven until golden, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.
As I stated, I used the brand Dickinson's Pumpkin Butter to create these delicious moist bars, however, Trader Joe has a Pumpkin Butter that is also phenomenal and can also be used in its' place. Williams Sonoma where this recipe was lovingly adapted from sells Muirhead Pecan Pumpkin Butter which can certainly be used if you feel like spending more than $10.00 on a jar, something I'm NOT willing to do since I can achieve a high quality dessert for more than half the price of this one jar (although it would eliminate the need to add pecans, but still, no thank you).