Well hello there….So I’m back with another deee-li-cious breakfast casserole bake that will turn you into a superstar this weekend (or any weekend for that matter). Easy weekends are what I’m all about. Suavecito is the way I like to take my weekends (nice and easy) and this easy ranchero egg bake will be on the table in less than an hour and will serve a big party with hearty appetites. It has some of my favorite ingredients in the whole wide world: sausage, eggs, black beans, taco shells not to mention salsa, green chilies, Mexican-mix cheese. OMG what’s there NOT to like about this, dare we call it, casserole? All these ingredients put together is like a Tex-Mex fiesta explosion happening. What a way to start the day! Try this casserole this weekend and let me know if you and your family liked it as much as mine did.
A delicious and great meal for serving at your next family brunch or potluck breakfast/brunch.
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 pound sausage (use ground pork, italian or Jimmy Dean's bulk sausage)
- 1-4 oz. can of green chiles, diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1.25 ounce packet of taco seasoning mix (omit if using Jimmy Dean's bulk sausage)
- 1 package (12 count) yellow corn taco shells (or use whichever tortilla chips you have available), divided
- 1 can 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack/colby cheese
- 10 eggs, beaten very lightly
- 1 cup of mexican red salsa, any variety
- 1 cup of milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet BROWN sausage meat over medium heat, stirring to break up the meat as it cooks. Add chiles, water and seasoning mix (only if using regular sausage and not Jimmy Dean's. If using Jimmy Dean's sausage remember that it's already pre-seasoned so you'll have to proceed carefully with how much taco seasoning mix you add so as not to make it too salty). Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- Take 10 taco shells and CRUSH coarsely then spread onto the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch casserole pan (if you are using regular tortilla chips make sure you crush enough to cover the pan plus more for topping casserole).
- Sprinkle the black beans evenly over the taco shells/tortilla chips and spread the sausage mixture evenly on top. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the sausage meat.
- In a medium bowl, COMBINE eggs, salsa and milk. Pour over your casserole ingredients.
- CRUSH remaining 2 taco shells/tortilla chips and sprinkle evenly over your casserole.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes checking after 30 minutes to make sure you do not overbake.
To make this into dinner, chicken or shredded pork can also be substituted for the sausage.