This Banana Butter Pecan Cake recipe post is defintely NOT for my sister Vivian.
The reason it’s not for her is because this dessert has bananas. Vivian has always HATED bananas. Since I’ve known her (which is all my life) she hates bananas. Won’t try them at all. Can’t even stand the smell of ’em. Now my other sister, Yvonne, is a different story.
Yvonne loves bananas and any recipe that includes them. Unfortunately for Yvonne though, she also has a condition that prevents her from eating fruits that contain too much sugar (a condition that shall remain nameless cause I don’t have permission to tell you what that is but I guess you can figure it out). This prevents her (or should prevent her) from having bananas because bananas have too much sugar. So this recipe is not for Yvonne either.
Me I could take bananas or leave em but I chose to keep them in this cake. So Vivian and Yvonne you can turn the page cause this recipe is NOT for either one of you. BUT HEY – I love the both of youuuu…
Okay back to business. This is going to be one of those deserts that you’ll be able to whip up in a minute but tastes as if you worked on it all day. Yup, for reals!
Oh and by the way this is also a cheaters cake because you use a cake mix to make it. Yeah I do that some times especially when I decide to do a cake at ten thirty at night just because. But if you want to go all the way, knock yourself out and make it from scratch, more power to ya.
So here’s the deal with this cake: you start out with a cake mix and end with either homemade frosting or good old Pillsbury or Duncan Hines and please don’t write to me and tell me how its sooooo unhealthy to use these. I mean you CAN write to me, after all it’s a free country, but it’s how I roll for this cake. You can spend the time to make your own cake mix and frosting. Me? I choose to use the “easy” and yes “lazy” route today. Either way you put it – this will make a dessert that EVERYONE will be talking about.
Oh, one more thing, there is a reason why there is only ONE picture…everyone dug into it before I was able to take more than the one picture you see here, sorry.
Yup, it’s that good! Enjoy!
- 1 Box Butter Golden Cake Mix or Butter Pecan Cake Mix
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped toasted pecans, divided
- Homemade Vanilla Buttercream Frosting or 1 container Creamy Home-Style Classic Vanilla Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 10-inch Bundt® pan or tube pan.
- Combine cake mix, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mash bananas, whisk in eggs one at a time, add in oil and vanilla extract and stir this mixture until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the cake mix and sugar.
- Beat the cake mix ingredients together with the wet ingredients with an electric mixer at medium speed for at least 2 minutes until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in 1 cup pecans by hand.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake on wire rack 25 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and let cool completely.
- Spread frosting on cake and top with remaining whole or chopped pecans.